Friday, 14 September 2012

Craftivism....good Winter Activism?


Staying active can be tiring. Talking about global poverty can drive the people around you up the wall (they have heard it a million times) and of course trying to re-inspire people when competing with TV adverts, campaigns, red nose day, all these things, can be really difficult.

A new type of activism is creeping through the UK. Craftivism. Putting Craft and Activism together.

Sarah Corbett founded the Craftivist Collective here in the UK and I have had peripheral interest since Sam Bacon mentioned it at the last training day. I would say I am quite a creative person (blogs?) but the problem is I tend to lack the skill to create what's in my head.

I did use to do a lot of cross stitching, and sewing is something I have been dead keen to get into for a while now. The things my mother can do - have you seen my cushions? That was big bits of material from a charity shop!! Honest.

I also think that sitting in when its cold and dark and wet outside is a given. And on a selfish and personal note anything that stops me reaching for the biscuit tin during the winter is a plus. (that's why I started blogging - to keep busy when I needed a cigarette - not really worked out the way I had hoped but I have acquired a taste, and I think a skill, for creative, free flowing narrative that is published online.... modestly).

So I think I might have to give this craftivism a go. I think aiming for Christmas Presents is the best way forward, like these little jam jar lids: I am thinking maybe over jars of sweets?

And look at this: isn't it just beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment